Mr. Fanning’s qualifications include public company CEO experience and electric and natural gas industry knowledge and experience, including nuclear and new technology matters, cybersecurity matters, environmental matters and governmental affairs and financial expertise. His deep knowledge of the Company, based on his more than 40 years of service, as well as his civic participation on a local and national level, are valuable to the Board.
- Effective immediately following the annual meeting, Mr. Fanning will assume the role of Executive Chairman of the Board and relinquish his role as Chief Executive Officer.
- Mr. Fanning has held numerous leadership positions across the Southern Company system during his more than 40 years with the Company. He served as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company from 2008 to 2010, leading the Company’s generation and transmission, engineering and construction services, research and environmental affairs, system planning and competitive generation business units. He served as the Company’s Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer from 2003 to 2008, where he was responsible for the Company’s accounting, finance, tax, investor relations, treasury and risk management functions. In those roles, he also served as the chief risk officer and had responsibility for corporate strategy.
- He served as the co-chair of the Electricity Subsector Coordinating Council, the principal liaison between the federal government and the electric power sector to protect the integrity of the national electric grid. His leadership in the cybersecurity area was recognized by the U.S. Senate in 2019 with an appointment to the Cyberspace Solarium Commission, a group developing a protection strategy for the cyberspace interests of the United States. In 2021, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency appointed Mr. Fanning as chairman of the agency’s newly formed Cybersecurity Advisory Committee, a group that provides recommendations on cybersecurity programs and policies.
- Mr. Fanning is a Director of Vulcan Materials Company, serving as a member of the Executive Committee and the Audit Committee and chair of the Compensation Committee. He served on the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta from 2012 to 2018 and is a past chairman.
- He also served on the Board of Directors for the St. Joe Company, a real estate developer and asset manager, from 2005 to 2011.